COLORADO ASSOCIATION OF PERMIT TECHNICIANS
Business Meeting Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Location: City of Westminster
Start Time: 12:55pm
Call to Order: Jessica Sorensen, President
P Jessica Sorensen, President
P Melinda Helmer, Vice President
P Kimberly Segura-Bates, Treasurer
P Leslie Carpenter, Past President
p Ann Freiberg, Board of Directors
P Theresa Campbell, Board of Directors
P Darla Brooks, Board of Directors
Jessica Sorensen called the Colorado Association of Permit Technicians Business Meeting to order at 12:55 pm on Wednesday, November 15, 2017. Jessica took roll call and noted that for the record a quorum was present.
Meeting Minute Approval:
- Approval of the July 17, 2017 Colorado Association of Permit Technicians Business Meeting – City of Black Hawk
Mark Gurule, Chapter President noted that there is a correction that needs to be made to the meeting minutes regarding the Beryl Wallace award. Meeting notes has a typographical error and should be noted as “Beryl” and not “Burrow”. With the noted changes, Denise Tenorio moved to approve the July 17, 2017 Business Meeting Minutes. Theresa Campbell seconded the motion.
- Colorado Chapter ICC
Chapter President, Mark Gurule introduced himself and provided an update of the Colorado Chapter.
- Mark stated that the Annual Business Meeting held September 10-13th in Columbus, Ohio was a great event. Although there were no code hearings at this event, it was still attended by many. Due to the hurricanes, ICC made donations to the Red Cross. There were approximately $4,000 in donations. Aurora Public Schools sponsored a digital badge for learning building codes. There is an Ad-Hoc Committee being established – Building Futures Program – designed to educate those students interested in building codes and construction. A meeting with CU Denver will be scheduled where Dave and Jessie plan to speak to students.
- Disaster Mitigation Committee was set up to travel to Texas to offer assistance. A van was lent to the four volunteers, however, the van broke down and the volunteers never made it to their destination.
- Southern Colorado Construction Career Days was held in September in Colorado Springs. Students participated and learned about various aspects of the construction field.
- Standardization Committee – The Standardization Committee’s mission is to develop and maintain the small project building guides. (Decks, ReRoof, Patio Covers, Residential One Story Additions, Basement Finish, Detached Garages, etc.) They have meeting dates February 23, May 18, and October 19, 2018.
- Next Chapter Meeting will be held December 14th and 15th at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Deadline to register for a room is December 1st. Classes to be held on Tall Wood Building Construction and Marijuana. The Chapter will be hosting a Casino Night and all are encouraged to attend.
- 2018 Chapter Meetings are as follows: February 16 – Larimer County; April 6 – Cripple Creek; June 8 – Glenwood Springs; August – Chaffee County; and December’s Annual Business Meeting at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.
- International Code Council
- The Annual Business Meeting was held in Columbus, Ohio – September 10 – 13, 2017. Jessie was in attendance noting again that it was a great event.
- Discussion regarding the Proctor System for online testing occurred.
- Permit Tech Institute – Seattle – October 16th and 17th
- Region XI
- There are currently twelve regions. We are Region XI which consists of the states of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.
- Region XI meets twice a year. The next meeting will be held in Utah/Arizona sometime in the Spring of 2018.
- Save the date – Chapter Leadership Academy. DTC Hyatt Regency. Travel expenses could be paid if you qualify.
- CAPT will join Region XI to support the other states. Region XI has been very successful.
- Jessie provided an overview of PermitTechNation (PTN) and what they do. Upcoming events and webinars were discussed. PermitTechNation is the first nationally recognized chapter of permit technicians. With regards to the recent disasters, permit technicians from around the country assisted in the processing of paperwork and permits for those affected jurisdictions. PermitTechNation is an amazing and involved organization. Visit their website for more information.
Reports of Officers and Committees:
Leslie Carpenter – Leslie noted that the newsletter should be available in February. She is always looking for new ideas or information to add; please contact her if you have something you’d like to contribute. Jessie reminded those in attendance to let her know if anyone has passed their Permit Technician Certification so that we can recognize them in the newsletter. All CEU certificates are mailed out so please be sure to sign in on the check in sheet to receive credit for attending today’s meeting. Jessie encouraged CAPT members to step out of their comfort zone and join a committee or the board. If you’ve been thinking about it and aren’t sure, you’re welcome to attend a Board Meeting to see what it’s all about. We’re always looking for new members and you’re welcome to reach out to a current board member if you have any questions.
Theresa Campbell – 2018 CAPT Board Nominees are as follows:
President: Jessica Sorensen, City of Westminster
Vice President: Melinda Helmer, Town of Erie
Treasurer: Kimberly Segura-Bates, City of Lakewood
Past President: Leslie Carpenter, Jefferson County
Theresa Campbell, City of Loveland
Ann Freiberg, City of Commerce City
Darla Brooks, Arapahoe County
Jessie asked if there were any other nominations from the floor. There were none.
Kimberly Segura-Bates – Kimberly noted that there are currently 85 members of CAPT. The 2018 Membership Forms will go out December 1st.
Darla Brooks – If anyone has any business meeting topic ideas, please share them with Darla. The 2018 CAPT Business Meeting schedule is as follows: May – City of Aurora; July – City of Blackhawk; and November – Annual Business Meeting in the Town of Erie. The City of Blackhawk will be host to the July meeting celebrating CAPT’s 20th Anniversary. The CAPT Board is currently working on a banquet to celebrate this incredible milestone. The next Board Meeting will be held in February at the City of Lakewood.
Ann Freiberg – Donations. Items are being accepted today for donation and distribution of the items will take place on December 7th. The Board will put together care bags/packages to distribute to the homeless. Anyone wishing to help is welcome and will need to be at the City of Westminster at 8am on December 7th. Leslie will also send out an email reminder.
PermitTechNation – There will be two webinars offered in 2018.
- How to Become a Permit Technician will be offered on August 15th and August 22nd. This is a 6 hour course that allows for 1.2 CEU’s each day.
- Permit Specialist webinar will be offered November 13th and November 14th. This is also a 6 hour course that allows for 1.2 CEU’s each day.
Any feedback on the webinars would be appreciated as there have been mixed reviews.
Installation of the New 2018 CAPT Board Officers.
Honorable guest and founding member of the Colorado Association of Permit Technicians gave a brief speech and provided the oath and installation of the new officers. Becky Baker was also the recipient of the ICC Code Official award to which she was given a round of applause. Many thanks to Becky, her hard work and her dedication to this profession.
Kimberly reported the CAPT checkbook balance is currently $10,606.41.
Jessica adjourned the November 15, 2017 C.A.P.T. Business Meeting at 2:00 pm.